Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Food for the Wild Things

 I noticed this small fruit tree a few weeks ago but I haven't been able to identify it.  At first glance, I thought it was a cherry but when I squished the berry, I found it had three seeds inside.  Not likely a cherry then.  The leaves look somewhat like an apple or plum, but the fruit doesn't match up.  Anybody know what it is?


 This is the trunk of the tree for the above fruit. It has definite white markings on the trunks which are about 1-2" in diameter/


 The hawthorn bushes in our area are all dying - some blight I suppose.  The birds liked to eat the haws, but as one kind of plant dies another one takes over so there is always food for the birds. They even eat poison ivy berries.


 I heard on the radio that the wild turkeys like grapes and have been helping themselves in some vineyards.  Although I saw grapes forming on the wild vines earlier in the season, I don't see any mature grapes now so I guess the turkeys came and ate them all.  Apparently they will also eat tomatoes.  One more critter after our gardens.


For the deer, there is still lush grass growing in undisturbed spots.



The bullrushes take on a lovely sheen at this time of year.  I don't know if the birds eat the bullrush seeds at all but certainly the fluff will make a soft lining for nests next spring.




No comments:

Post a Comment