Friday, May 25, 2018

Late May Flowers



After the spring bulbs have finished, there is a bit of a lull in the perennials. Some flowers are blooming though.  Here are some pretty Virginia bluebells. I like the way they start out pink and gradually mature to blue.

 The gold-leaf bleeding heart is a nice addition to the garden. A hummingbird stopped by the bleeding hearts and had some nectar.  I have seen both a male and female hummingbird in the last few days so I am hoping they will nest nearby.

A couple of late lily-flowered orange tulips. I noticed that a bee, who was struggling to figure out how to get inside a rounded tulip, had a much easier time crawling down the outward facing petals of the lily-flowered one.


I thought some bright celosia would contrast well with the lobelia.



The bleeding heart, brunnera, merrybells and trilliums are all past their prime, but they still give a little colour.
I have ornamental onion in sunnier locations, but these ones are growing in full shade near the Solomon's seal. In the shade, the flowers are smaller but they bloom reliably. Not many plants will bloom in full shade.
This is a tiarella. I like the leaves and delicate flowers and the fact that it looks so much like a native plant. It's hardy, and unlike heucheras, does not pop up out of the soil.
 This is a native foamflower (tiarella). Also very pretty, but more delicate than the nursery produced one.
 A little jumble of plants. At the bottom left is a hickory seedling . I'm always having to weed out trees. I can't let this one grow as it's too close to the house.
 Silver dollar growing in a patch of forget-me-nots.
Wild strawberries that produce delicious, tiny fruit. The berries rarely grow bigger than 1/4 across. It's an attractive plant anyway and the blossoms are cheery.
We might get a thunderstorm tonight which will freshen everything up.

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a selection - I enjoyed seeing them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice info and right to the point. I am not sure if this is really the best place {to ask} but do you people have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thx :)
    weidenmatten

    ReplyDelete