Wednesday, July 16, 2014

More Moths

 




 I  always find the variety in moths fascinating. This interesting moth is a small-eyed sphinx moth.  I don't think I have ever seen one before. Our area is on the periphery of their range, which is mostly east and south of us.






 This moth is called |The Neighbour.  Not quite sure how they arrived at that name, but she is certainly one that you notice. I couldn't find out much about this one so I am assuming that it isn't very common.  Someone suggested that they like American hazelnut , but I'm not aware of any in the area so it must eat something else as well.





 Yes, this is indeed a moth, the yellow-necked caterpillar moth.  It's only about an inch long and very easily dismissed as a bit of rolled up leaf.  This guy as a caterpillar likes to munch on a variety of hardwood trees so no surprise that it's here.


 I think this is a Rose Hooktip.  I couldn't get a photo of the top surface but judging by the waviness of the wings and the broad band of lighter colour at the edge of the wings, I think that's what it is.  I'm guessing it eats roses so perhaps it has been munching on my rugosa rose.


 Pearly wood-nymph if you want to be snooty.  Otherwise it's known as bird-poop moth.  That's pretty obvious.  It eats a variety of bushes - not very fussy at all.
An excellent site with great photos of Ontario moths is www.backyardnature.net












2 comments:

  1. Fantastic array of moths Jenny. I love the unusual angle of the Rose Hooktip, makes for an interesting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing variety! I had no idea moths could be so interesting!

    ReplyDelete