Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Pink Poppy and Light Purple Onion with Green Bee

Although I have the usual orangey-red poppy, I like this frilly pink one better. Just makes you think of party dresses.
This nice little clump of allium (allium atropurpureum) self-sowed. It struggled a bit when we had a dry spell, but I watered it from time to time and it has bloomed very nicely.  Unlike the purple globe allium that blooms in May, this one blooms almost a month later.  The flowers are not a full globe but are more vase shaped.  The colour looks different depending on the light but on the whole they are more pinkish than the round ones.


This photo of the same patch shows you how pink they can look.  The little green bee, that is less than an inch long, was really enjoying the allium.  Other small pollinators also like it.  The green bee is very flashy with its iridescent colour.
When I first saw this photo, I thought the bee had green eyes.  On further inspection, I realized that its antennae were simply outlining some of its back and that its eyes are large black ones on the side.  It's easier to see that in the first photo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment