Thursday, June 22, 2023

Siberian Iris, Giant Fleeceflower, Dahlia, Fuchsia

Last year for some strange reason, the Siberian iris didn't bloom.  I feared that they wouldn't ever bloom again but this year, obviously, they did.  The dark purple blue is so striking.  They are planted by the ditch by the road so anyone driving by gets to enjoy them, too. On the lower left of the photo, are a couple of lighter blooms that are a different variety.


The giant fleeceflower gets bigger every year.  I really like it.  I think part of what I like is that with our short season we rarely can grow a large plant.  The fleeceflower dies back totally in the winter and from the beginning of May to mid-June it grows 5'.  Amazing.   The little white flowers are alive with lots of small bees and wasps enjoying the flowers.


The grocery store had its nursery plants on sale at half price.  Well, I can't resist that.  I thought this dahlia was really fun and it's got lots of buds.


I also picked up three different fuchsias which I planted together in a pot.



I think I will try to overwinter them in the house.  Such pretty flowers and nice to have three different colours.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment