Tuesday, March 5, 2024

A Story - "Work" and Snowdrops

A Story

Work

The scribe memorized the decree stating that the priests supported the king.  It seemed like a waste of time to write out what was obvious to all.  Adding to the burden, he would have to transcribe it into, not just one, but three languages.  No mistakes would be tolerated.  The task would demand all his concentration and energy.  He groaned as he began his arduous work.

Two thousand years later, in London, a middle-aged tourist gazed at the Rosetta Stone awed by its beauty and importance.  Here was the key that finally unlocked mysteries of the ancient Egyptian world.





My snowdrops (Galanthus) are blooming.  What a welcome sight at the end of winter.  Some years they have even bloomed under snow, but this year the snow is gone and they are in full view.  I have some double ones which come out a little later.  They are pretty as well but not as vigorous as the single ones.  The single ones also multiply more quickly.  I like to put the snowdrops in an area that I can see from a window so I can enjoy them even if the weather is dreary.

I have had trouble with chipmunks eating crocus bulbs but I don't have any trouble with anything eating the snowdrops so that's another good reason for me to have them.

They are delicate, petite flowers and if you look closely at them, you will see how pretty they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment