Tuesday, February 27, 2024

A Story: "Wedding Bells" and Primula

A Story 

Wedding Bells

"Weddings: great places to meet guys."

Sandy had her eye on a guy when an attractive young woman came up to her.

"Hi, I'm Lily.  I love your dress.  You must work in a creative field."

"I do.  I'm a fashion designer."

"Fabulous! I'm a visual artist."

The conversation took off like a mustang galloping over the range.  Sandy felt like she'd known Lily for years.  They exchanged phone numbers and hugged before Lily finally dashed off to find her boyfriend.

When Lily reached Sandy's chosen one, she gave him a big kiss.  Sandy's heart sank.

When was the next wedding?



 


Primulas are one of my favourite spring flowers.  My zone 4 garden is just barely warm enough for some of them. They are considered a short lived perennial even where it's warmer.  Ones I have bought in stores will only make it through one or two winters.



However, some that I have started from seed have come back for many years.


This lovely yellow one was given to me as a plant several years ago and it is very hardy and vigorous.  I have split it a number of times so I have quite a patch of it now.  It's a bit of mutant, though, because it has multiple crowns that all bloom.  Most  plants have one or only a few crowns.

Primulas like to have spring sun and summer shade like a lot of spring blooming flowers.  They do well in the shade of deciduous trees.  They need to be fed compost every year and should be watered if it's been dry. Apart from that they are pretty easy and not prone to pests or diseases.  They are easily split into more plants.  In fact, that will keep them vigorous for longer.


This year I bought Primula Lighthouse Mix from William Dam Seeds in Ontario.  I have been happy with their seeds in the past - they are never treated and they all germinate well. The package of primula seeds contained 12-15 seeds according to the package.  13 have sprouted so that's great.  They are slow to grow so they likely won't have time to bloom this spring.  I will pot them up and leave them on the deck where they will get morning sun and maybe they will bloom in the summer.  If not, then next spring. I'll plant them in the ground at the end of the summer so they can settle in before winter.





No comments:

Post a Comment