Sunday, December 6, 2020

Knitting with Leftover Yarn


I decided I should use up some of my leftover yarn. This pink in the shawl is acrylic, the beige and old rose stripes are a mohair blend.  The shawl is 200 st. across at the top using 4.5mm needles. I decreased one stitch each end every 4 rows at first and, after about 18", I switched to decreasing every 2 rows. It's a nice lightweight shawl that I will enjoy wearing on a chilly day when I sit at my computer.


I knit this afghan a little while ago.  The off-white yarn is acrylic, the cranberry is an alpaca blend, and the strips between the squares is a mohair blend.  The pattern was determined by how many squares of each colour I could knit from the available yarn. I did have a different arrangement in mind but I accidentally sewed two rows of the off-white consecutively and I didn't feel like undoing it so this is the end result. The alpaca and mohair yarns give it extra warmth without bulk.

Next project? Probably socks.

I'm not surprised that people have taken up knitting during the pandemic. A creative project with a defined beginning and end makes the days feel more structured. I have to say though that when I first starting knitting years ago, it made me tense. Now I have enough muscle memory that it's relaxing.

Keep well. Spring is coming.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment