Monday, January 9, 2017

Trying to do some Watercolour

Funny how one thing leads to another.
My daughter was telling me that she was watching old shows by Bob Roth, the painter, on PBS as his soothing voice helped to put the baby to sleep.  That got me reading up on Bob.  He was very prolific and figures he probably painted 30,000 paintings.  Wow!  OK, he had a formula, but still that's many hours at the easel. He was on PBS  doing how-to shows for years. He felt too many people were intimidated by painting and he wanted people to be able to learn a simple way to paint that would enable them to make a passable picture. By the way, he started painting when he was in the Air Force in Alaska.  He had lots of time in the winter, I guess.
Anyway, all this about painting got me on Youtube and I found a whole lot of really helpful videos on watercolour painting especially designed for beginners like me. Great ones like "5 (or 10 or 20!) Mistakes Beginners Make". Very instructive.  So I've been watching lots of these instructional videos and signing up as a subscriber for my favourites.  And I am attempting to put paint to paper. I'm quite enjoying it. I am not obsessing over all the mistakes I am making and just assuming that with time I will improve.
 Isn't that what old ladies do? Take up watercolour painting :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks as though you've made a good start to your artistic ambitions. It's one of those things I've been meaning to get back to since I last did any painting when at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - it looks pretty professional to me! I have been playing around with watercolour pencils. It is so awesome to have these tutorials available isn't it?

    ReplyDelete