Monday, April 8, 2024

A Story - "No Going Back" and Double Snowdrops, Planting Early Potatoes in Bags

A Story:

No Going Back

Linda admitted that she had a crush on Bob.  They didn't move in the same Grade Seven social circle but they sat next to each other in class.  She let him copy her homework, and he teased her with smiling eyes.
Every day they had a friendly little chat, although sometimes he seemed worried.

One morning in the classroom at the beginning of recess, he held her arm asking her to stay.  When the others had gone, he said starkly, "My brother was killed.  Shot by a drug dealer."

Linda stared at him, stunned.  Pain screamed in stricken silence.




The double snowdrops come out a little later than the singles.  The patch is gradually growing now that they've had a couple of years to settle in.


I find the flowers so pretty but you have to flip them up to see them properly. 


I have been chitting the Norland potatoes for about three weeks. They were in a bright spot on a table near a window.
I decided to plant them even though it is early.  They are planted in old reusable grocery bags which is what I did last year with good results.  I have put them just under the soil so the sprouts can get sunlight.  Later as the sprouts get taller, I'll put more dirt on top of them.  I fertilized the soil with about a tablespoon  of Miracle Grow slow-release pelleted tomato food per plant bag.  We are getting a good soaking rain in a couple of days so that will help them.  I can easily cover them if a frost is predicted.


My favourite kind of crocus.  I really like the striped petals.  I don't have many as the chipmunks go after them but I still have the odd one usually coming up somewhere that the chipmunk planted it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment