Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Nomadland by Jessica Bruner


 Nomadland, the movie, just won Best Picture at the Oscars. The topic interested me so I am reading the book - always more complete than a movie.  This is not an uplifting story but I am really glad I am learning about the displaced, "houseless" people - many of them seniors- in the US. I'm guessing we have a similar population in Canada, just fewer of them.

It has also cemented my conviction to never buy from Amazon again. The conditions in their distribution centers are horrific with no care at all for the workers.

I had already switched to Indigo for book shopping, but thought I should check Indigo's work reviews. For in-store employees, they were for the most part very good. For the warehouse workers, the reviews were OK.  Google reviews for Amazon warehouse and you get descriptions like "hell".

I highly recommend you read this book which is available from Indigo.

I know Amazon can be convenient and free shipping, et al. but it's on the backs of the workers.

I have found smaller companies for all my shopping needs. Just search for what you are looking for and you will find an online vendor. I find parcels still come quickly as they are often send by Priority Mail and if you have any issues with your order, staff at the business will help you. Of course, when Covid is over you can shop in bricks-and -mortar stores.

The only way to effect change at a business like Amazon is by changing our buying habits. So please, pass this message along to your friends and family, and maybe we can help these workers to have respectable conditions to work in.  Also, write your MPP to complain that they are not enforcing workplace rules.

I am so thankful that I have a house to live in. Everyone deserves decent shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment