Tuesday, January 23, 2024

A Story: "Rural Renewal" and Starting Onion Seeds with Recycled Stuff

A story:

Rural Renewal

Pine-fragranced air breezed freshly into Tara's lungs.  How robust she felt on her strong, sure-footed horse as he navigated the wild terrain of the trail to her rental cabin in northern Ontario.  Each swinging stride connected her to his energy.

At the cabin, she built a campfire.  Hot dogs, roasting on sticks, sizzled in the heat.  Steamy tea warmed her bones.  After, hot toasted marshmallows sweetly fuelled contentment.

Later, lying in bed, Tara gazed through the skylight at myriad stars sprinkling passionate light.  Billions of vibrant suns pulsated hope to her.

Tara smiled, cherishing life, defying her cancer.



I like to start some of my onions in January.  It's always a bit unpredictable as January can be sunny or cloudy, and if it's a cloudy month the seedlings don't do well. However, if the weather co-operates then I get larger onions in the summer from my January sowing.  I planted Norstar onions which are a long day variety.  In Ontario, you need to plant long day onions if you want to get any good sized onions in the summer.
I used an empty margarine container for the pot. The plastic clamshell, which works like a mini-greenhouse, is from greenhouse grown lettuce and the plastic tray underneath is from 
Ferrero Rocher chocolates. So my planting set-up only costs me the seeds and potting soil. I've planted about a dozen seeds in this container. 

Once the seeds sprout, I will open up the clamshell if it is sunny but close it up if it is cloudy to keep more heat inside.  By March, I will get rid of the clamshell to harden the seedlings off a bit.  I will also trim them to about 4 inches so that they don't flop over.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment