Sunday, October 31, 2021

Air Plant -(Tillandsia) Bloomed

One of my air plants just bloomed. This is the scrawniest plant of the five that I have so  I didn't expect it to ever do anything but here it is with its strange purple-candle flower.  It had been upside down in a shallow bowl of water for a couple of days and I was moving it when I saw that it had suddenly bloomed. I have no idea what triggered the bloom.  During the summer, I put the air plants outside where they got the morning sun. Sometimes they got too much sun which is why some of the leaves look so scruffy.  I would regularly put them upside down in water to keep them hydrated but sometimes they were just lying around in the open air.  I brought them inside when it started to get chilly.

Sadly, an air plant only blooms once.  However, this plant may make some offshoots which have the potential to bloom.  Two of my other plants have offshoots that are growing well so maybe next summer they will bloom.

Strange plants to be sure but it is cool to have a plant that doesn't need to be potted in soil. I do put a little fertilizer in the water I dunk them in every so often.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment