Friday, November 27, 2020

Air Plant Care

I received these air plants last February as a gift. Three of them are now making pups.  From what I read, they make pups after they have bloomed. As long as I have had them the two multi-leaved ones that have pups haven't bloomed but perhaps they had already bloomed. Anyway, they are now making pups.
During the summer, I had them on the kitchen windowsill but I felt that would be too cold for the winter months so I moved them to a bright spot further away from a window. I had been soaking them for an hour each week in distilled water with a little bit of orchid fertilizer added to the water, but I found that with the drier air of the colder season that they looked too dry. What to do? I didn't want to soak them more often and risk rotting out their base. I thought I would try putting them upside down in a shallow bowl for about half an hour a day.  This way the leaves get wet but the base stays more or less dry.

I really like the shape of this one. It was blooming when I got it. It had little purple flowers and the seed stalk has remained. The shoot on the left started growing in the summer.

I hope everyone is staying well and finding ways to stay busy while distancing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment