Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Geranium and Evening Primrose, Native Milkweed, Victoria Blue Salvia

Sometimes you plant two plants side by side and it really works. I find this combination of perennial geranium and evening primrose is one that I'm happy with.  


The native milkweed is blooming. I've always liked the look of them and they have a sweet fragrance.  The leaves are soft but, at the same time, sculptural. Of course, the monarch butterfly larva feed on them. I hope to see some caterpillars soon.

I tried to grow swamp milkweed which grows wild in some damp places around here.  I was able to start a few plants from seed but the swamp milkweed leaf beetle, a round red and black beetle, ate them.  Last year, I planted some butterfly weed which is the same family as the wild swamp milkweed.  It grew over last summer but this spring when it was about 2' tall, the swamp milkweed leaf beetle totally stripped it  in a couple of days. The beetle will sometimes eat the regular milkweed but perhaps that is more toxic than the swamp milkweed so the regular milkweed never gets totally destroyed. 

It's so interesting how some insects have such specific plants that they eat. I'm glad my whole garden isn't being eaten by beetles.

This is Victoria Blue salvia.  I've often grown it and never had any issues with it.  It isn't in bloom in May so it is a somewhat overlooked plant at the plant centres. I find it pretty and it blooms steadily from June to frost.

 It has very sturdy stems which make it good as a cut flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment