Tuesday, July 4, 2023

A Story -" Baby Plans" - also Black-eyed Stella and flycatcher

This story is part one of a two part set.


Baby Plans

Jessica and Mark had discussed having children when the time was right:  when the student loan was paid off, when they had a house, when they were promoted.

When Jessica found she was pregnant, she hesitated to tell Mark.  But tonight, without preamble, she blurted out, "I'm pregnant."

Mark was startled but recovered quickly.

"Do you want this baby?  I'll support whatever decision you make," he said earnestly as he hugged her.

Jessica felt like she'd been punched in the stomach.  He was fine aborting his baby.  This child meant nothing to him.

The next morning, she packed her bags.




 

The plain yellow Stella D'oro is a  popular reblooming daylily and it is a very reliable plant, but I find that for my situation, where most of my gardens only get partial sun, the Black-eyed Stella, shown in this photo, is a better option.  It is a slightly taller plant (3'), with larger leaves and it blooms really well even with less sun.  The name isn't particularly accurate as the eye is a deep orange. 

Daylilies in general are very tough dependable plants.  We have large orange ones that grow wild along the roadsides that bloom profusely with no care at all. 

Had a fun thing happen this morning when I had my horse on a lead in the backyard.  I noticed a flash of grey between me and my horse out of the corner of my eye.  When I looked around, I noticed a flycatcher on a nearby tree.  He (she) had swooped in very close or right up to my horse to snag a fly.  I've noticed before that when I am with my horse that other wildlife don't notice me.  I have seen the flycatchers come very close to him before when he's in his paddock.  He is totally used to them and doesn't notice at all.

1 comment: