Saturday, May 13, 2023

Tulips, Bishop's Hat, White Bleeding Heart

Angelique tulip is a lovely double pink.  I find it reliably comes back for 4 or 5 years in my Ontario garden unlike some other tulips that are only good for the initial year and maybe one more.


I noticed it has two little flowers growing from bulb offsets. I've never had a tulip do that before. I presume they will bloom again next year.


Tulips are fun because they come in so many colours and forms.  These tulips were sold as a combo and they do look very nice together. I think I like the lily flowered tulips more that the traditional rounded ones.
The Bishop's Hat (Epimedium grandiflora) is going gang busters this spring.  It must have 10 -12 flower stalks each with 10-20 flowers.  Lots of little bouncing flowers that the bumblebees love.


A friend gave me a division of her white bleeding heart last year.  I like any kind of bleeding heart but I actually prefer the traditional pink and white blooms.


A nice interplay of blue and pink forget-me-knots.  Although it looks like one plant, it is several plants intertwining with each other. I like the way forget-me-nots just randomly come out blue, or pink, or white.

I planted out my tomatoes and peppers and now they are saying chance of frost in a few days. The tomatoes I will protect with crumbled newspaper, but the peppers I will dig up (only 5 plants) and bring them back inside as they are a variety I can't buy locally.  Traditionally, the safe date for frosts in our area is May 24 but I always jump the gun otherwise you miss out on a week or two of good weather. I usually manage to protect my tender plants so I find it's worth planting a bit early.
 

1 comment: