Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Head First Bumblebee


 I saw the first bumblebee of the season head down in a crocus. Reminds me of children who think they are hiding if they tuck their head in a corner in plain sight of any observer. Although it was quite mild today, the bee wasn't moving much so I guess it was still half asleep from winter. It has a lovely orange stripe around its middle and I think is a Tricoloured Bumblebee.

I also saw a couple of mourning cloak butterflies feeding on maple sap where a branch had been cut off a small tree I had to cut down last winter. I suppose they could smell the sugar in the sap.  They will enjoy that as it is way too early for any flower nectar. I wonder if they feed on tree flowers, some of which bloom in April.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the world is waking up again. Quite a few bees and butterflies around here last week, but not so many now it's turned cold again.

    ReplyDelete