Sunday, August 15, 2021

Just Sweet Pepper, Sweet Pepperbush

The Just Sweet variety of sweet pepper was a 2019 All-American selection and I can see why.  The smallish peppers (about 3" long) have a wonderful sweet flavour. I have tried a few pepper varieties over the years and none of them come close to the flavour of the Just Sweet peppers.
The plants are healthy and vigorous. Next year, I should stake them as they are so full of peppers that they got blown over somewhat in the rain and wind.  I bought the seeds from Halifax Seeds, $4.99 for 8 seeds, so a bit pricey but they are well worth it.  I lost one plant early on as it never made a true set of leaves but with seven plants I will likely have all the peppers I need until harvest time next year.  I like the smaller size as I find that is the perfect size for snacking.  I am freezing the surplus which is super easy as you don't have to blanch peppers, just wash them, take out the seeds, cut them up if you want, and freeze them. 
The sweet pepper bush (Clethra alnifolnia) has a lovely sweet scent that wafts through the air if there is even the slightest breeze. My plant is only about 2 feet high and will likely never get taller because the ends of some branches get winter kill. It is not a fussy plant and blooms even if it isn't in full sun.
The small fragrant flowers are very attractive to little bees and other pollinators.

I planted some crocosmia this spring and it has grown well but no blooms.  The internet tells me that it could be because it is the first year, not enough sun, or too rich soil.  Guilty on all three counts, I think.  Will they survive the winter? Time will tell. This variety is supposed to be hardy to zone 4 but I think you have to be in zone 6 to be reliably confident that crocosmia will make it through the winter.  I am in zone 4 and sometimes have success with zone 5 plants.



This is a view that shows how you can blend vegetables, annuals, perennials and even weeds to make a pleasant grouping.  In the front are marigolds, next, beets with a few bright green weeds, celery on the left.       Beyond are a couple of hostas, phlox, purple bee balm and a spray of asparagus.  Further back still is a patch of native jewelweeds that grows quite tall.




We are dog sitting our daughter's dog Bonnie for a couple of weeks. She is 15 years old but still has a sparkle in her eye.

Hope you are all enjoying  tasty vegetables and beautiful flowers from your gardens. 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment