Thursday, September 7, 2023

Another story "T-Shirt Turn Off" and free summer bulbs

 Here is another story.  Hope you like it and it gives you a chuckle, but also makes you think a little.

"The weather forecast was cool and sunny.  Just perfect for the hiking group to enjoy a trek, but Janice frowned that morning as she got dressed.  She really enjoyed the hikes but lately Matt was being just too friendly.  How to put him off tactfully was the question.  Suddenly the lightbulb lit up.

Not long into the hike, Matt came up beside her. 

"I was wondering if you..." he started.

No time to lose.  Janice quickly unzipped her fleece to show off her T-shirt.

Matt sucked in his breath, eyes goggling.  He sputtered, scooted away.

"Jesus Saves" flashed her T-shirt."



Our local grocery store had lots of summer bulbs left over and today they were just giving them away.  Well, who can resist that?  I had bought the big yellow dahlia in the spring and was really happy with it. Lots of big lemony yellow flowers and a robust plant.  So I thought I would take another one from the free box today.  I also picked up a pink dahlia, a package of five calla lilies, and two packages of acidentera (18 bulbs).  When I got home early this evening, I opened up all the packages and put everything to soak in water.  The dahlias still had  shoots that looked alive, and although most of the tubers in the cluster were very dried out, each plant had a firm one.  The acidanteras all had small shoots, still green, although looking pretty stressed.  In the calla lily package was a large (3") corm with about 6 shoots as well as some small corms with no shoots.

This is absolutely the wrong time of year to be planting any of these but I like a challenge, and they were FREE.  My plan for the dahlias is to pot them up and try to get some growth on them before winter.  I will try to extend the season for them as long as possible bringing them inside if frost is threatened at night. I should be able to do that until the middle or end of November.  Then I will let the foliage freeze and  put the whole pot in the cool basement.

The acidentera I will simply use as forced bulbs.  If all goes well, they will bloom in December and we can enjoy them for a little while and then I will throw them out.

The calla lilies I will pot up, grow them  outside as long as I can and then bring them in as a houseplant. In January and February, I will put them in the basement and give them a rest.  Hopefully, then they will be ready to grow again next spring.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment