Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Spring Indoor Blooming Plants -Rose, Bougainvillae, African Violet, Orchid

In January, I bought this 4 plant pot of miniature roses. When I brought it home, it had a couple of stunted blooms and a few buds.  They all proceeded to fall off as well as many leaves.  This usually happens when you bring a greenhouse rose from the grocery store into your home. All the changes are just too much for the plant.  However,  I fertilized it with Miracle Grow- Ultra Bloom (15-30-15) liquid fertilizer and now it is blooming nicely with lots of new growth.


It is a bit floppy but that could just be the lower light on a windowsill as opposed to being outside.  I am thinking of putting a couple of the plants in a hanging basket with other plants for the summer.  In the fall, I will plant the four plants in the ground as they do not make a good permanent houseplant.  They are supposed to be hardy to zone 4.  In the past, I have had miniature roses that lasted several years in the garden.
Crazy bougainvillae.  It bloomed as it usually does in February.  After a time, the blooms fell off as well as quite a few leaves.  OK, I thought, now it needs a rest.  Well, no, it started to put on new growth and after a shot of fertilizer it is blooming again. Lovely bright pink flowers which dry beautifully.

 

A friend gave me this violet last fall.  It has been blooming constantly since January.  I had it close to a south window for the winter and now I have moved it back a bit so it doesn't get scorched by the strong spring sun.  
This lovely orchid blooms reliably every winter.  The flowers last for weeks.  When it is flowering, I feed it once a month with liquid fertilizer.  I always water it with rainwater or distilled water. I give it about 1/4 cup of room temperature water once a week.

The kalanchoe of my last post in January is still blooming. I have taken cuttings so that hopefully next year I will have even more kalanchoes in bloom.  Such an easy plant to grow. It's quite happy for the soil to dry out but can also handle a decent watering as long as it doesn't stay wet over a significant period of time. Just not fussy at all.

Spring is cool and rainy this year so having the indoor plants blooming is especially nice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment