Wednesday, August 24, 2022

4 Hours of Sun - Veggies


 I am so pleased with the results of my 4-hours-of-sun vegetable plantings.  As you can see, I have some lovely big tomatoes, ripe peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, potatoes, purple beans and zucchini.  The location of this patch gets full sun from 10:00am to 2:00pm so it gets strong sun when it gets it.  The shade is from deciduous trees so it is not as deep shade as you would have on the north side of a building or fence,  or even in the shade of cedars or conifers.  The tomatoes are producing less than in a full sun location but the peppers in the shade are producing as well as the ones in full sun.  Both  tomatoes and peppers are taking a bit longer to ripen.  I have tons of zucchini and the potatoes are producing well.  The beans also doing as well as in a sunnier location.

Of course, I could easily grow lettuce, celery, spinach, Swiss chard in the shadier spot.  Next year, I will plant some brassicas there and see how they fare.

Happy gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment